I started by researching our buyers. Using a combination of secondary research and data from a client survey, I analyzed our customer demographics and challenges. I used this information to determine how we could position our website to better speak to the needs and challenges of buyers. Additionally, this process highlighted ways we could improve the experience for existing customers, too.
After researching our users, I helped develop personas in collaboration with the business development team. This process helped us understand the needs of our customers and how our redesigned website could serve their needs better. The rationale was: if we could improve the site for our current customers, then we would likely be improving the design for future customers, too.
I took stock of all existing content by running a content audit. I tagged everything with a simple RAG status: red was unsalvageable, amber required major edits, and green meant it was either good to go or required minor edits. Very little was salvageable from previous website iterations.
I created a sitemap and sorted salvageable content under the appropriate page. We outsourced copy for critical pages to an outside marketing firm to speed things up.
I created wireframes in Figma. This helped me determine the amount of marketing copy needed for each page. After I finished each page, I sent it to a small group of customers and peers for feedback and testing. The feedback helped us reduce IT jargon and build a more approachable design — brighter colors, larger type size, and more relatable imagery.
In this phase, wireframes were halfway between low- and high-fidelity. They were not pixel-perfect, as I left a little wiggle room for last-minute adjustments during development.
Development began in mid-summer 2021. By late August, things were firing on all cylinders. In early September, the new site launched to coincide with our rebrand debut. It was a massive amount of work, but I managed to pull it off with the help of my team.
The following technologies were used to create the website:
- Astro — a new static-site generator that promises “powerful developer experience.”
- Tailwind CSS — the utility-first CSS framework.
- Netlify + Functions & Forms — a jamstack-focused platform.
With more time, I would have conducted usability tests. When we asked for feedback, customers/peers merely reviewed the website on their own time and jotted down a few thoughts — there weren’t a set of tasks to complete to highlight flow pain points.
- Redesigned over 60 pages of content to align with brand attributes and user personas
- Addressed core challenges brought up in customer/peer feedback
- Better information architecture for content and taxonomies: blog, customer stories, videos, webinars, etc.